We the human are not just Humans in the World of Internet. We are Actually an Input machine that are just submitting our fully confidential data like our Personal details, Credit Card details, etc. And Since the Internet is just as insecure as World to the Nuclear threat, we hereby needs mechanism to secure every data we provide on the internet. Just as Anti-Virus for our PC, SSL is for Our Personal and the Internet, but it has many differences.
So What is SSL?
(Secure Socket Layers) SSL is a transparent protocol which requires little interaction from the end user when establishing a secure session. While You web browse for instance, users are alerted to the presence of SSL when the browser displays a padlock, or, in the case of Extended Validation SSL, when the address bar displays both a padlock and a green bar. This means every data we Provide is encrypted by SSL.
Simple: It is a standard technology that encrypts data between our web browser and the web server. This ensures the data passed between the browser and the web server remains private and fully encrypted.
Benefits of SSL in your Website :
- Improves Search Engine Ranking : Google’s Algorithm gives more weight to HTTPS / SSL enabled website.
- PCI DSS Compliance Requirement : You must have a SSL certificate to process any Credit / Debit card or any other online monetary transaction. The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) applies to all payments whether Online or Offline. Having SSL can make you manage your own financial transaction without any payment of extra cost such as transaction fee to 3rd Party Payment System like PayPal, etc.
- SSL improves Customer/ Users Trust : It is Proved that users spend more time on Secure sites than Non-Https websites. SSL provides authentication to your website.
- Google made SSL Mandatory : Google now flags the website that do not have a SSL certificate. Web browers like Safari, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome marks a “Not Secure” warning alert on Url bar.
- Necessary for websites providing Membership/ SignUp feature.
Note: It You have not Started Your Website/ Blog yet, then I would recommend to not Install SSL through these Providers. Instead buy a Webhosting that provides Pre Installed SSL for free.
5 Best Webhosting that provides free SSL Certificate:
- Inmotion Hosting
- WP Engine
Best Free SSL Certificate Providers :
This Zero SSL tool helps you to obtain SSL certificates for your website. They are issued by Let’s Encrypt Certificate Authority and they are absolutely free. The renewals are also free and unlimited. Issued certificates are supported by all major browsers and operating systems.
The certificates are of Domain Validated (DV) type. That means you will only need to confirm your ownership of the domain name. The confirmation process is very simple and there are two options to choose from: DNS verficiation and HTTP verification. The former requires creating a specific DNS record of TXT type for the domain. The latter requires creating a plain text file with a specific content on your web server. Choose the option you are most comfortable with – normally all registrars provide a way to edit DNS records, but you might like creating a text file better. DNS verification also might take a bit longer depending on how quickly your registrar’s servers publish the changes (usually within 15-20 minutes), while HTTP verification can be instant.
The certificates are initially valid for 90 days and then can be renewed again and again (also at no cost)
To Upload SSL certuficate You need:
- Let’s Encrypt Key
- Domain Name
- CSR i.e. Certificate Signing Request
- Verification Later on.
My Opinion : You need to Update the free SSL certificate on the Cpanel of your webhost Directly after every 90 days. However it’s a free ssl deal but I found it very Messy, Since Updation is required every 90 days. Not Recommended.
Free Trial SSL is domain validated and fully automated, which means you will be able to start protecting your e-commerce, logins, and more in just a few minutes. Free Trial SSL activates the browser padlock and https, and assures your customers that you take security seriously.
My Opinion : It is free only for 90 days. Later it is a Paid Service. However Paid Services are far better than freebies since they are more authentic. Here it is Accepted in 99.9% of browsers world-wide. But if you are website does not worth too much or does not have that kind a traffic then you should not choose this for SSl. Therefore other freebies are worth better for you.
SSL for Free
SSL for Free again here as well, the ssl certificate are generated by Let’s Encrypt using their ACME server by using domain validation.
- Totally free
- Widely Trusted
- Prevents Website Hacking
How it Works:
For browsers which support Web Cryptography (all modern browsers) we generate a private key in your browser using the Web Cryptography API and the private key is never transmitted. The private key also gets deleted off your browser after the certificate is generated. If your browser does not support the Web Cryptography API then the keys will be generated on the server using the latest version of OpenSSL and outputted over SSL and never stored. For the best security you are recommended to use a supported browser for client generation. You can also provide your own CSR when using manual verification in which case the private key is handled completely on your end.
My Opinion : With the Trust of Let’s Encrypt (a non-profit CA) it’s way too good.
Clouflare: CDN + Free SSL/ TLS
Manually configuring SSL requires several steps, and a misconfiguration can prevent users from getting to your website. Cloudflare allows any Internet property to become HTTPS-enabled with the click of a button. You’ll never need to worry about SSL certificates expiring or staying up to date with the latest SSL vulnerabilities when you’re using Cloudflare SSL.
My Opinion : I Personally use it on my Website which you are browsing right now. I found it the best free SSL Solution for any website. It provides hassle free ssl certification (In my Case, it took not more than 5 minutes). Plus the most important benefit it provides is CDN i.e. Content Delivery Network that helps in increasing your website’s Speed to multiple times. All and All, It’s a totally Free deal. So Cloudflare is highly Recommendable by Blogveda.
We give people the digital certificates they need in order to enable HTTPS (SSL/TLS) for websites, for free, in the most user-friendly way we can. We do this because we want to create a more secure and privacy-respecting Web.
The key principles behind Let’s Encrypt are:
- Free: Anyone who owns a domain name can use Let’s Encrypt to obtain a trusted certificate at zero cost.
- Automatic: Software running on a web server can interact with Let’s Encrypt to painlessly obtain a certificate, securely configure it for use, and automatically take care of renewal.
- Secure: Let’s Encrypt will serve as a platform for advancing TLS security best practices, both on the CA side and by helping site operators properly secure their servers.
- Transparent: All certificates issued or revoked will be publicly recorded and available for anyone to inspect.
- Open: The automatic issuance and renewal protocol will be published as an open standard that others can adopt.
- Cooperative: Much like the underlying Internet protocols themselves, Let’s Encrypt is a joint effort to benefit the community, beyond the control of any one organization.
My Opinion: Again a 90 days Free renewal, but they stated that this limit damage from key compromise and mis-issuance since stolen keys and mis-issued certificates are valid for a shorter period of time. So it is OK if you can install the free ssl certificate every 90th day.